Waiting for Rain!

Saturday 30 January 2016
Hey everyone, I'm so happy to release this pattern for the world finally!

Waiting for Rain! 




It's been in development for-fucking-ever. It's a concept I came up with while I was knitting Shine! Back in the early months of 2015. You probably know me enough by now to know that I'm obsessed with lace charts. I was looking at my garter short rows going... "hmm, can I add lace to this?"

I played around for many months trying to figure out what the hell to do to get the lace to fit into the short rows. Eventually I figured out that charting them was the way!


The first version (seen above in Cascade Eco) of this shawl had three different lace charts in it - I only liked the finished version of the one of them - so I just stuck with that one for the published version. But the charts are brilliant, they can incorporate all sorts of different lace. I'm looking forward to trying out some more ideas I have for shawls using this lovely lace ripped-into-garter look.

They're weird charts - they're kind of backwards and yet really quite intuitive. For the published version of Waiting for Rain I also included written instructions for folks who hate charts.

I'm going to call this technique...

softsweater's charted lace short row technique or SCLSRT for short! 


(that's the worst acronym I've ever heard, but I'm rolling with it)

The plan is to perfect it and then teach a couple of classes on it in the near future at a couple of the LYS in Vancouver. SCLSRT ftw! 



19 comments:

  1. So gorgeous and so innovative! No wonder it's number one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so thrilled with it! :D

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quick question - Can you give an updated link for the YouTube video that you have included in the pattern? I have copied and pasted and it comes up as not found. I would love to watch a little video. The pattern is BEAUTIFUL and I can't wait to get a start on it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what happened to that video! It seems to show up for some but not others. I have tried to find another one, but it's such a simple technique that no one seems to have made a video about it. It's very simple though, just turn your work :) I'll put it on my todo list to make a video in the future :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please come to RiverCity Yarns In Edmonton to do a class!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am working on Waiting for Rain and want to loosen the top edge. Initially I understood to knit on the right side the 2 beginning K2 stitches and then put in a YO. I just reread your instructions. Now I am interpreting it to mean place the YO between the 2 knits. In other words, K 1, YO, K1, then continue on. I know to drop the YO on the W side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am "finished" with my shawl and wanted to add the lacey picot cast off, but I can't figure out your instructions. I am ending up knotting a bunch of stiches and only binding off the 2 in row 5. Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't figure out the instructions for this bind off either. Can anybody help please.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I can’t figure the instructions either , sure would love some help , please

      Delete
  8. Hi there, I just finished the first short row section. At the end of short row 25 is says you'll have 208 stitches...is that 208 sts from end to end, or from the beginning of the last short row to end of shawl? I put in markers to mark my shortrows, but ended up with 228 sts total (from end to end). Now I'm freaking out...eek. Help...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be the S1K2P...it's a k2tog, not k2 then psso those two. If you k2, you'll end up adding 20 stitches in the end. You may have to frog your lace panel :|

      Delete
  9. Hi, I'm Spanish, so I don't if I didn't understand Very well or whatever but if you start with 10 stiches and you add 2 more on the right row and 2 on the wrong, I don't get to 202 in 64 rows. Can you help me? I'm willing to starting the part 1... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kwow!!! I hace found mu mistake. Thanks anyway!

      Delete
  10. Please tell me if I missed something. In the charted version, Part I, it says knit 23. The written version says knit 27. Which is correct?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hello. i'm super excited to be nearly done but the picot bind off seems really confusing to be as written and dissimilar to other video tutorials. could you please explain how to use multiple rows in the instructions? thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also need a better explanation of the cast off in The Rain Outside. A video would be so helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Back to Top