M1W - Make 1 Weird and the Elder Tree Shawl

Wednesday 28 October 2015
Hey knitters -


So I realized that when I wrote the Elder Tree shawl I talk about a Make 1 without specifying what kind of make 1 I was talking about. This is because I thought Make 1 meant just grabbing the bar underneath and knitting into it without twisting it. It makes this nice little lace hole as if you'd done a yarn over on the other side. I swear someone taught me that but I can't remember who and I can't seem to find anything on the internet about it.



So I've made my own little tutorial video to explain it to folks who are asking.




I'm calling it a Make 1 Weird because I'm weird and I use this to make 1.

Honestly all the hundreds of projects out there that have been using twisted make 1s in the Elder Tree all look absolutely beautiful. A twisted make 1 is great for this pattern too - but I just wanted to let folks know what I was talking about when I was saying Make 1 and here it is!

I'm designing another shawl which uses this increase as well. It's a really good increase for increasing along a lacy spine because it doesn't stop the yarn over looks. I'm a bit in love with it. It also helps with fitting leafy shapes into a triangle shape. It's really been a lovely invention of sorts. Here's a picture of the side of the Elder Tree chart so you can see what I'm talking about. It's the M nestled next to the two yarn overs.



So let's just pretend I made it up so I can have a very own stitch! I feel a bit like Elizabeth Zimmerman right now.



Oh speaking of Elizabeth Zimmerman...

















2 comments:

  1. Tanks for your informative writing.
    Get 30%-70% Discount from FZillion.com on all branded Sweaters. USA Free shipping and free return. 75 days Return

    Policy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Goodness. I M1 (make one) the same way!!!! (and have been called out about it)...it's never "bothered" me that I do it "weird"! I'm glad you wrote about it! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Back to Top